Even 100 percent CTR will not lead to high earning if there is only handful of visitors coming to your website and blog. Therefore along with optimization of the ads, traffic management is also very important. Following are the ways to improve traffic coming to your website and blog.
- Submit site to the Search Engines: Search engine is the most preferred way to look for information. Most people search required information first in the search engine. Choice of the search engine varies from person to person. People may prefer Google, Yahoo, Bing, AOl, Ask etc over other as first choice. Statistically, Google is the market leader in web searches and most people prefer it. Learn how to get listed in Google and Yahoo.
- Search engine optimization: Submission of the site to search engine is not the only solution for good traffic. Your site should come at top on the web searches. Unless it comes at the top pages, people will ignore your site. Two most important things for SEO are “keywords and links”. Almost every website is based on the niche area. To describe any niche there are keywords for example keywords for a website based on education can be primary education, secondary education, career, teaching, classroom, study material, teacher, scholarship etc. Your site contents should have good density of appropriate keywords; otherwise your site will be wrongly listed and the ads appearing in your site will not match the contents. Density of appropriate keywords should be around 2-10 %. You should use these keywords in titles, main content and metatags. You should also maintain good title for categories, subcategories and directory. These are the way you have arranged your contents. It helps search engine to properly index your site. Keywords are also very important for the display of appropriate ads. These ads will match with your information added in title, metatags etc. If you add inappropriate keywords then ads will also be non-matching. Therefore you should never manipulate keywords jus to PageRank.
My experiences in the research field give me an idea about importance of links. In science, the more is the citation, greater is the value of article. It simply shows that lots of people are using it, therefore it must be useful. Google also use the same principle. If the number of links to your site and webpages are more than your ranking will be high and it will appear higher in search results. Links placed at sites having higher PageRank will increase the value of your site (and weblinks). Similarly the links coming from a site specialized in that particular keywords (your niche) will have more value then totally unrelated sites. Therefore link exchange with sites specialized in your niche is important. Those links also bring the visitors to your site. However if the visitors are coming through links on totally unrelated site, such untargeted traffic may affect the CTC and CPC.. There are ways to improve links to a site.
- Easy navigation: It is not tough for a site with few links to manage navigation. It becomes difficult as the site contents increases. One has to do something to improve navigation to whole contents though home page and though each of your articles/posts. Browsing to whole contents should be though each of the internal links. More people browse your site; more is the possibility of higher CTC (click-through-rate).
- Online Advertisements: It is a way to buy traffic at cheap rate (through placing advertisements) and sell it high (through ads). Google AdWords and Yahoo Overture are the most effective way to drive traffic to your site at some cost. Both allow display of your ads on top of their search results.
- Offline marketing: One can use press, radio, television and other direct marketing strategies to publicize personal sites. Placing ads in newpaper has one additional advantage. Your ads will also be appeared in their online version. Such exposure helps to acquaint people with name of your site. They may think you are a expert in the field. Whenever they look for that information, your contents may be preferred over others. Publication in press release if very easy. Publication of your article in newspaper is possible if you have something interesting which can be useful for public. You may have success story of your blog. You may have expertise in some field which you can share with general public.
- Freebies: You can distribute freebies like t-shirts, caps, glass etc during any event as freebies. You can add your site url on these freebies.
- Sponsorship: You can sponsor any event or conference on your niche. It is a way to get wider publicity and you will give much targeted visitors to your site.
Source: Article first published in Blogger’s Magazine.