Search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing regularly sends a “spider” to websites. Spider is a program to crawls the website to copy the pages and downloading a copy of them to their web servers. After crawling by the spider, search engines index the information available on the site like keywords, tags and other stuffs. Whenever somebody search anything on search boxes, search engine show results out of these indexed pages generated by above mentioned process. However there are number of source where information about a particular searched term can be available. So next question is which source will come first in the search results. All search engines has their own algorithm and ways to handle this. Any result comes first has ranked #1 followed by subsequent ranked websites. The basis of ranking is not fully understood. Many of the facts are known but complete process is never disclosed by any search engine. So people can never completely understand the whole process. However from time to time search engines tell us how they rank the websites. These facts can be used by webmaster to improve the ranking of their contents. Search engines are the way to increase traffic by natural/organic visitors. You don’t have to do any direct advertisement for that. Search engine optimization is the collection of steps you do to improve your rank for getting more natural/organic traffic. Webmasters can do following things to improve rank of their content.
- Blogs are preferred over static websites. A frequently updated content on particular topics has advantage to get better rank. So update your blog on regular basis and stick to a theme/topic.
- Keywords are very essential for higher ranking. Your contents should well represent the major keywords related to the theme of your blog. Keywords should appear in titles. Texts in bold letters are preferred over normal text by search engines. Therefore keywords should be made bold wherever possible. Your blog will be better indexed for those keywords if you properly use theme more often. With higher “keyword density” your blog will ranked higher for those keywords and will be shown at first page of search result. Keyword density increases with your subsequent posts. But you should be more focused on increasing contents on your keywords. Also exceptionally high “keyword density” can annoy your reader and your blog can be considered as splog (spam blog) by search engine. Keyword density of 5-10 % is good.
- Try to get as more back-links as possible. Link all of your blog to each other. You can exchange links with other bloggers. Build back-links to your blog from other websites (by submitting articles in article directory and submitting details in online press release websites). Join online forums and use your signature to link your website there. Post comments on the other blogs and leave a backlink there.
- Write articles and submit it in article directories. These articles can be unique or you can modify your regular article and submit it. At end you should give a “byline” to describe yourself and your blogs with giving a link to go there. Many article directories give permission to submit same article in other directories as well. Other bloggers and website owner will also link these articles with their own web contents creating more links for your blog. It is one of the easiest ways to build links which increase your search engine ranking.
- Online press release websites are also important way to increase the links. Websites like prweb.com and prfree.com are the popular in these categories. You can create a nice abstract of your blog along with giving links and post it on press release websites
- Each visitor can be a potential advertiser who will tell their friends and acquaintance about your blog. Therefore give social touch to your blog. There should be article sharing facility. If readers like a particle article, there should be a way to share that article with their friends. Share with social networking websites option work like a virus which quickly spread your blog to a wider audience. It will spread links to your blog at different places.
- Place meta tags for your posts. These are “tags” which are hidden pieces of code listing keywords which can be read by search engines. This is not visible to the regular readers but search engine use it for getting relevant information. Such tags help the search engines index a website better. These tags help to index your blog for all of the mentioned tags. You can include the tags which are not relevant to the post/article but related to the theme (niche) of your blog.
- Ping your blog regularly. Spiders of search engines regularly visit websites to index it in their directory. But the frequency of visit depends on size of the website and frequency of updates. Pinging is the way to inform search engine about your updates and invite them to index you again as you have updated the contents. There are many ping websites like www.ping-o-matic.com and www.pingoat.com which provide pinging facility without any charge. Just type your URL their and press ping. e
- Comments on articles published in others blogs and leave a link there. Quality comments drive readers of that blog towards your contents. It is also a way to get more back-links. Never post spam comments on others blogs. By doing so you will either be banned from posting your comments there or people will ignore you
- Submission of the blog to blog directories and catalogs also improves the number of back-links along with getting targeted readers. Many people prefer to search relevant information on these catalogs.
- Exchange links with other bloggers. Such links are called reciprocal links. Search engines prefer back-links over reciprocal links; still any links is better than none. Blogroll is the list of links to other blogs with similar topic.
- Guest posting on others blog ending with a byline (your introduction along with links to your blog) is also a good way to increase your ranking. Guest blogging is also useful for exchanging readers.
Finally, search engine should not be the only way to get traffic to your blog. You should also focus on other ways to get traffic. You should properly do marketing your blog for getting more traffic. More on other strategies will be discussed in coming articles.
Source: Article first published in Blogger’s Magazine.